I like quotes.
Quotes are fun.
Quotes deal with innumerable topics.
I think we should have a regular "quote" feature on this blog. They might be quotes about writing or quotes about life in general - which we could then discuss ideas of how to incorporate them in our writing.
Today I submit a few quotes on the topic of writing...
"Anyone can become a writer. The trick is staying a writer."
- Judy Reeves
"Writing begets writing."
-Dorianne Laux
"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind."
-Rudyard Kipling
"By taking the time for writing practice, you are honoring yourself as a writer... You learn what you want to write about..."
-Judy Reeves, A Writer's Book of Days
"You write by sitting down and writing."
-Bernard Malamud
"Start to write, and let one thing lead to another."
-Ring Lardner
"I never know when I sit down, just what I'm going to write. I make no plan; it just comes, and I don't know where it comes from."
-D. H. Lawrence
"Writing is about learning to pay attention and to communicate what is going on... "
-Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird
Find your tribe - on being in a writers' group
"...within this circle there is an understanding that writing isn't about being published or making money or becoming famous; no need to justify how much time you spend on a piece of work that may never see print."
-Judy Reeves
Quotes are fun.
Quotes deal with innumerable topics.
I think we should have a regular "quote" feature on this blog. They might be quotes about writing or quotes about life in general - which we could then discuss ideas of how to incorporate them in our writing.
Today I submit a few quotes on the topic of writing...
"Anyone can become a writer. The trick is staying a writer."
- Judy Reeves
"Writing begets writing."
-Dorianne Laux
"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind."
-Rudyard Kipling
"By taking the time for writing practice, you are honoring yourself as a writer... You learn what you want to write about..."
-Judy Reeves, A Writer's Book of Days
"You write by sitting down and writing."
-Bernard Malamud
"Start to write, and let one thing lead to another."
-Ring Lardner
"I never know when I sit down, just what I'm going to write. I make no plan; it just comes, and I don't know where it comes from."
-D. H. Lawrence
"Writing is about learning to pay attention and to communicate what is going on... "
-Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird
Find your tribe - on being in a writers' group
"...within this circle there is an understanding that writing isn't about being published or making money or becoming famous; no need to justify how much time you spend on a piece of work that may never see print."
-Judy Reeves
The second one by Judy Reeves stood out to me. Sometimes I use the excuse that I don't know what I want to write about, or I don't feel 'inspired.' But by simply taking time to write, whatever that may be, we discover our writing style and what it is we have a passion to write about.
ReplyDeleteExactly. I almost included another quote of hers - "Writing practice is about finding our voice..." I've also read other authors who say almost the same thing you've described.
ReplyDeleteBTW, Kingston Library has Reeves' book that I was quoting from - A Writer's Book of Days.