I have previously noted the recommendation to establish a regular TIME and PLACE to write and have talked a bit about the TIME - about building a writing habit. So what about a PLACE? Writers seem to look for different features in their writing place; some need solitude and silence while others can concentrate better with a hum of background noise - or even in the midst of busy life.
One of the first questions I asked myself was whether I would compose on my computer or with pen and paper. Published authors come down on both sides of that question. Many do all of their writing at the keyboard, but others say they need the process of putting pen to paper. In fact, some say it must be pencil. BTW, I do a combination - composing sometimes at the keyboard but more often on paper.
Once I've determined whether I will be using the computer or on paper, the next "place" issue is the location. The "spot." The physical setting. Where will I seat myself to write? Do I need one specific place to serve as my writing spot? What does it need to have? A view? Peace and quiet? A window? A comfy chair? A table?
Most of us probably do not have the luxury of choosing or creating an ideal spot to write. Instead we find ways to make the most of our situation. And perhaps we don't want just one writing spot. There's something to be said for portability in this writing thing. I would like to set up a great writing spot, but I also love the portable tool kit idea. My "kit" includes a small zipper case with pens, pencils, erasers, and high-lighters - that is ready to toss into my book bag on my way out the door.
A fun part of the place issue for me is what to write in. Because much of my writing is done somewhere besides my computer, the possibilities are endless. In fact they probably deserve their own "place" - an entire posting dedicated to the list of options: writing notebooks, looseleaf binder, legal pad or collections of scribblings on napkins and backs of envelopes.
Tune in again for discussion on those options.
One of the first questions I asked myself was whether I would compose on my computer or with pen and paper. Published authors come down on both sides of that question. Many do all of their writing at the keyboard, but others say they need the process of putting pen to paper. In fact, some say it must be pencil. BTW, I do a combination - composing sometimes at the keyboard but more often on paper.
Once I've determined whether I will be using the computer or on paper, the next "place" issue is the location. The "spot." The physical setting. Where will I seat myself to write? Do I need one specific place to serve as my writing spot? What does it need to have? A view? Peace and quiet? A window? A comfy chair? A table?
Most of us probably do not have the luxury of choosing or creating an ideal spot to write. Instead we find ways to make the most of our situation. And perhaps we don't want just one writing spot. There's something to be said for portability in this writing thing. I would like to set up a great writing spot, but I also love the portable tool kit idea. My "kit" includes a small zipper case with pens, pencils, erasers, and high-lighters - that is ready to toss into my book bag on my way out the door.
A fun part of the place issue for me is what to write in. Because much of my writing is done somewhere besides my computer, the possibilities are endless. In fact they probably deserve their own "place" - an entire posting dedicated to the list of options: writing notebooks, looseleaf binder, legal pad or collections of scribblings on napkins and backs of envelopes.
Tune in again for discussion on those options.
Comments
Post a Comment