We "gather" in this spot because of our common interest in writing. It is very possible that we will have little else in common - and that's okay.
But even within the realm of writing, we are likely to be quite different from each other. One of the obvious differences will be that of genre - starting with fiction or non-fiction. I hope and believe that we can learn from each other across that divide. Personally, I can't envision being able to write fiction and I certainly admire you who can.
We probably also have varying levels of intensity and desire about this writing thing. Some are dabbling while others may be quite serious. For that matter, maybe some of us haven't even thought about whether to dabble or to be serious about it.
Then there's the matter of how far we are on this writing journey. Have you established some kind of writing habit yet? Have I set any writing goals? Do we want to?
So, since we are all in different places and headed in various directions, our needs will also be different. Some may need skill development while others may want critique. I bet we can all benefit from encouragement and can likely learn much through discussion with fellow writers.
So, how do we meet these diverse needs? First, I realize that we can't "do it all" in this group. Certainly it will take awhile to figure out to make this thing work. Secondly, we are more likely to be able to help each other if we know what the needs are. So, as we inch our way along in thie experiment, be thinking about what you're looking for.
Thanks for being willing to join this venture.
But even within the realm of writing, we are likely to be quite different from each other. One of the obvious differences will be that of genre - starting with fiction or non-fiction. I hope and believe that we can learn from each other across that divide. Personally, I can't envision being able to write fiction and I certainly admire you who can.
We probably also have varying levels of intensity and desire about this writing thing. Some are dabbling while others may be quite serious. For that matter, maybe some of us haven't even thought about whether to dabble or to be serious about it.
Then there's the matter of how far we are on this writing journey. Have you established some kind of writing habit yet? Have I set any writing goals? Do we want to?
So, since we are all in different places and headed in various directions, our needs will also be different. Some may need skill development while others may want critique. I bet we can all benefit from encouragement and can likely learn much through discussion with fellow writers.
So, how do we meet these diverse needs? First, I realize that we can't "do it all" in this group. Certainly it will take awhile to figure out to make this thing work. Secondly, we are more likely to be able to help each other if we know what the needs are. So, as we inch our way along in thie experiment, be thinking about what you're looking for.
Thanks for being willing to join this venture.
I sometimes am compelled to write. Unforturnetly, during those times I am in an odd place like; in the car, on a hike, in church, or at a baseball game. By the time the tools are all in place to write, the inspiration has left me. This is discouraging. Like the other day at a baseball game. I was thinking as I sat there gazing at the majestic scene in the distance of a whole mountain range. "This isn't a mountain top experiance, but I can see the whole mountain range from here." Really true of the moment and true of this "phase" I'm in as well. Places, what my eyes are beholding, seem to be the most inspiring to me. How about you?
ReplyDeleteOoh, I know what you mean. Anne Lamott* talks about this very frustration. She says if the inspiration is so great, she'll sure she'll remember it but she never does. So she ALWAYS carries index cards - or AN index card - in her pocket. Then she can at least get down enough key words to bring back the thoughts. I've started carrying an index card when I'm walking.
ReplyDeleteBut there are lots of times when I want to really write - that my brain actually has a flow of coherent thoughts that I want to capture. More than will fit on an index card. I'm getting into the habit of carrying some kind of notebook with me pretty much all the time.
What if you would put together a little "tool kit" tailored to your writing whims? Could be as simple as a small notebook with a pen tucked into it.
------------
* Index cards. p. 133 of "bird by bird" by Anne Lamott.
The notebook or index card idea is very good. Often the other writing group I'm in will take a walk through the woods or settle next to some picturesque scene equipped with notebook and pen, as a sort of 'planned inspiration.' We often practice writing a 'snapshot' of whatever impressions we get from a particular location.
ReplyDelete