Okay; I am building a writing habit. I’m working toward the goal of writing every day. So here I am; now what do I write? What counts as writing? I wonder what qualifies as legitimate literary work.
But then, you know… Who really cares? If this is my writing habit, then I guess I get to set the rules. Yes, I know there may come a time when I may want or need to set specific parameters for my daily writing – to discipline myself to move toward a certain project goal. But for now my main intent is to build the habit. So methinks it can be pretty open-ended.
Writing projectsI do have some ideas of things I want to write about someday and have even started some of them. I can be working on any one of them in my regular writing time.
BloggingThat blog that I started years ago and has received sparse attention from me is calling my name. I’ve even been toying with starting a new one, but how faithful would I be? Hmmm… Here’s another chance.
JournalingI have written journals for many years – albeit sporadically. This is a good time to pick that up again.
Letter-writingI recently discovered that I had nearly forgotten how to write real old-fashioned letters – and I want to re-learn that worthwhile art. So, yah, I think that letters qualify.
I’ve come to the conclusion that pretty much ANYTHING GOES. Put pen to paper. That’s it. For this season at least, letter-writing qualifies. Journaling qualifies as well. Blogging earns extra credit. And those other projects? Sure, I’ll keep working on them. Maybe someday one of them will grow into an actual literary work. Hey, I can dream, can’t I?
So yah, if I put pen to paper, if I intentionally corral some of the thoughts chasing each other through my brain and whip them into words and sentences, it counts.
But then, you know… Who really cares? If this is my writing habit, then I guess I get to set the rules. Yes, I know there may come a time when I may want or need to set specific parameters for my daily writing – to discipline myself to move toward a certain project goal. But for now my main intent is to build the habit. So methinks it can be pretty open-ended.
Writing projectsI do have some ideas of things I want to write about someday and have even started some of them. I can be working on any one of them in my regular writing time.
BloggingThat blog that I started years ago and has received sparse attention from me is calling my name. I’ve even been toying with starting a new one, but how faithful would I be? Hmmm… Here’s another chance.
JournalingI have written journals for many years – albeit sporadically. This is a good time to pick that up again.
Letter-writingI recently discovered that I had nearly forgotten how to write real old-fashioned letters – and I want to re-learn that worthwhile art. So, yah, I think that letters qualify.
I’ve come to the conclusion that pretty much ANYTHING GOES. Put pen to paper. That’s it. For this season at least, letter-writing qualifies. Journaling qualifies as well. Blogging earns extra credit. And those other projects? Sure, I’ll keep working on them. Maybe someday one of them will grow into an actual literary work. Hey, I can dream, can’t I?
So yah, if I put pen to paper, if I intentionally corral some of the thoughts chasing each other through my brain and whip them into words and sentences, it counts.
Letter-writing is definitely a lost art. When I was in my pre-teens and teens I had several 'pen-pals' with whom I exchanged letters. A few of them were people I also saw in person, but several I have never met. It was a very 'growing' experience for me, in many ways, and solidified my love for writing. After I started working, my letter-writing dropped off drastically, but I still miss it. I wonder if it would be beneficial to seek out a correspondent again...possibly a foreign one? I have a desire to learn about other countries and cultures. This definitely has me thinking!
ReplyDeleteOr how 'bout a missionary living in some faraway place? I know more than one who LOVE to get real letters. It can be a great ministry of encouragement while also strengthening your writing habit.
ReplyDelete