Sometime ago I read a very simple idea that Jerry Seinfeld used to push himself to keep writing. It can help you measure the frequency of your writing (or another desired habit) providing accountability and inspiration. The idea is to put a huge red X on your calendar on any day that you accomplished your goal. I draw my red X from corner to corner of that day's square - to mark the days that I write.
I don't always do this, but when I need a little kick in the pants, I might pull out the idea again. It's cool to look back over a month with lots of red X's - especially if enough of them are connected to each other to begin to make a pattern.
My calendar shows that I was in a writing slump when the year began; there are 9 red X's on January. February has 11 and March boasts 17.
How about you? Is this idea appealing to you? If so, how many red X's do you want to see in the next month?
I don't always do this, but when I need a little kick in the pants, I might pull out the idea again. It's cool to look back over a month with lots of red X's - especially if enough of them are connected to each other to begin to make a pattern.
My calendar shows that I was in a writing slump when the year began; there are 9 red X's on January. February has 11 and March boasts 17.
How about you? Is this idea appealing to you? If so, how many red X's do you want to see in the next month?
Comments
Post a Comment