I've heard that statement from several sources: writers read. It comes as no surprise, but why do they read and what do they read? Likely the reasons are varied and numerous.
I'll start by mentioning a book that has oft been recommended to me. On Writing Well: an Informal Guide to Writing Nonfiction by William Zinsser is considered an essential standard in the writing world.
Zinsser is a writer, editor, and teacher. Of his 17 books, several are on the topic of writing. My favorite so far, Writing About Your Life: A Journey into the Past is instructional and encouraging.
It's your turn. What books or authors would you recommend to fellow writers? Why? Or what books are on your wish list or your to-read pile?
- Writers read and study about topics they may write about.
- Writers may read critically to learn by observation what to do or not to do, what works and what doesn't.
- Writers read the works of other authors in their intended genres perhaps to "compare notes."
- Writers can learn the tools of the trade by reading books about writing.
I'll start by mentioning a book that has oft been recommended to me. On Writing Well: an Informal Guide to Writing Nonfiction by William Zinsser is considered an essential standard in the writing world.
Zinsser is a writer, editor, and teacher. Of his 17 books, several are on the topic of writing. My favorite so far, Writing About Your Life: A Journey into the Past is instructional and encouraging.
It's your turn. What books or authors would you recommend to fellow writers? Why? Or what books are on your wish list or your to-read pile?
I enjoy reading for both enjoyment and learning. I love the classics and am still making my way through some of them (working on Wives & Daughters by Elisabeth Gaskill). For pleasure-reading I like fiction, especially historical fiction. Ted Dekker is one of my favorite suspense/Christian fiction genre writers as of late. The Black/Red/White trilogy as well as the Martyrs Song series are my favorite.
ReplyDeleteFor my Creative Writing Diploma course, I read a series of books by various authors on different fiction writing topics. Here is the list. They are all Writer's Digest Books, and very detailed with excellent information.
Scene & Structure -- Jack M. Bickham
Plot -- Ansen Dibell
Characters & Viewpoint -- Orson Scott Card
Beginnings, Middles & Ends -- Nancy Kress
Other than that I haven't read much on the topic of writing other than short articles.
As research for writing, I am reading a few autobiographies written by former slaves.