As I was writing the last posting about trying to build my writing habit, I kept thinking about that other habit that I've been working on - walking 3 miles a day. I remember a couple recent entries I posted on my LiveJournal that might be pertinent to this subject. So here they are:
----------
Not so fast
July 27, 2009
It took me almost an hour to go 3 miles this morning. I got a late start and wasn't feeling very energetic. I think I knew better than to push myself today, but just plodded along at a steady pace. So instead of doing a mile in 15 or 16 minutes, it was more like 17, 18, or more. And instead of my record-breaking 49-minute total, or my "usual" 53 minutes, this time it took 56 minutes! :-(Am I discouraged? Nope. Because you see, I walked 3 miles. In less than an hour. And that's something to be happy about. So there.
----------
That's better
July 30, 2009
Did the 3 miles in 50 minutes today.Yay!!!
----------
My first 5k
August 10, 2009
Two days ago, I successfully completed my first 5k - walking it in 49.01 minutes. I even got a medal for taking first place in my age bracket - of only two women, but still. I am quite pleased - that I did it AND that I trained for it. Obstacles included a little boy who fell right in front of me, tripping me up, but I somehow regained my balance & stayed upright. It also started raining in the first mile & continued throughout the race & the rest of the day.
-----------
So... is there a moral to the story?
Probably several.
Do you see any encouragement?
Any lessons - for yourself or the rest of us?
----------
Not so fast
July 27, 2009
It took me almost an hour to go 3 miles this morning. I got a late start and wasn't feeling very energetic. I think I knew better than to push myself today, but just plodded along at a steady pace. So instead of doing a mile in 15 or 16 minutes, it was more like 17, 18, or more. And instead of my record-breaking 49-minute total, or my "usual" 53 minutes, this time it took 56 minutes! :-(Am I discouraged? Nope. Because you see, I walked 3 miles. In less than an hour. And that's something to be happy about. So there.
----------
That's better
July 30, 2009
Did the 3 miles in 50 minutes today.Yay!!!
----------
My first 5k
August 10, 2009
Two days ago, I successfully completed my first 5k - walking it in 49.01 minutes. I even got a medal for taking first place in my age bracket - of only two women, but still. I am quite pleased - that I did it AND that I trained for it. Obstacles included a little boy who fell right in front of me, tripping me up, but I somehow regained my balance & stayed upright. It also started raining in the first mile & continued throughout the race & the rest of the day.
-----------
So... is there a moral to the story?
Probably several.
Do you see any encouragement?
Any lessons - for yourself or the rest of us?
Comments
Post a Comment