I dabble with blog-writing.
I contemplate getting more serious about it.
I read lots of blogs - the good, the bad, and the ugly.
I take note of things that I would like to emulate.
I think and re-think my purpose for blogging.
I ask myself lots of questions about the direction of my blog.
One place where I keep getting stuck is the question of promoting my blog - not so much the "how to" as whether to. I've discovered that I am not sure that I WANT to promote it widely. I don't know if I'm ready to go public. That's a rather important question to settle before starting a promotional campaign.
So once again I ask myself the question "What is my purpose for blogging?" Is it to develop a readership? To become known? Or is it for "smaller" reasons, purposes?
Even if I choose not to go public on any grand scale, there seem to be many possible usages for a blog. It makes a good place where I can let my friends sample my writing. It provides a place where I can post things that I think will be of help to selected people. It can also simply be a place for me to practice writing - to build my writing habit, to experiment with different ideas, or to find my voice.
The question for me is not whether to blog or not, but how public I want to be and how much or how soon I want to recruit readers. I'm not sure I'm ready for the risks and the rough & tumble of life in the big bad blogosphere, so perhaps no recruiting for me yet.
To go public or not to go public; that is the question.
...
And you...
Are you wanting to start blogging or to get more serious about it?
What is your question?
I contemplate getting more serious about it.
I read lots of blogs - the good, the bad, and the ugly.
I take note of things that I would like to emulate.
I think and re-think my purpose for blogging.
I ask myself lots of questions about the direction of my blog.
One place where I keep getting stuck is the question of promoting my blog - not so much the "how to" as whether to. I've discovered that I am not sure that I WANT to promote it widely. I don't know if I'm ready to go public. That's a rather important question to settle before starting a promotional campaign.
So once again I ask myself the question "What is my purpose for blogging?" Is it to develop a readership? To become known? Or is it for "smaller" reasons, purposes?
Even if I choose not to go public on any grand scale, there seem to be many possible usages for a blog. It makes a good place where I can let my friends sample my writing. It provides a place where I can post things that I think will be of help to selected people. It can also simply be a place for me to practice writing - to build my writing habit, to experiment with different ideas, or to find my voice.
The question for me is not whether to blog or not, but how public I want to be and how much or how soon I want to recruit readers. I'm not sure I'm ready for the risks and the rough & tumble of life in the big bad blogosphere, so perhaps no recruiting for me yet.
To go public or not to go public; that is the question.
...
And you...
Are you wanting to start blogging or to get more serious about it?
What is your question?
Comments
Post a Comment