So what am I working on? I would like to share that, in case it might be helpful to any of you, or just a means of accountability to myself.
During my Diploma course, I wrote two short stories that I consider my best fiction work so far. The first was about a Christian Southerner in the pre-Civil War era that worked with the Underground Railroad, at the risk of his own family's safety. The Underground Railroad is a subject in history I have always found fascinating, but I have only read a few pieces of fiction with that setting. My writing group encouraged me to develop my short story (3200 words) into a book. I have a rough outline developed but there are still some gaping holes I haven't figured out how to fill yet. I need to work on adding more characters and perhaps a few subplots. What was sufficient for a short story is not enough to carry a book. Meanwhile I am trying to flesh out chapters of scenes I have mostly figured out. Part of what is hindering my progress is lack of research, but I often use that as a excuse not to write. I need to be writing and researching at the same time. The proper details can always be added after the basic plot is decided.
My second short story's idea came from reading my monthly Voice of the Martyrs. It's account of the persecuted church in Indonesia struck a chord with me somehow, and I used this as the setting. My short story is about a woman missionary, Anita, who witnesses the death of a Muslim woman because of her association with her, and how it impacts another native she had been trying to lead to Christ. I am not quite sure how I am going to 'flesh this out' as it is on the 'back burner' right now. But that is the next project, unless something else comes up.
I am also trying to get back into journaling regularly, as it helps my thoughts flow more readily in my fiction writing.
So this is where I am at. How about you?
During my Diploma course, I wrote two short stories that I consider my best fiction work so far. The first was about a Christian Southerner in the pre-Civil War era that worked with the Underground Railroad, at the risk of his own family's safety. The Underground Railroad is a subject in history I have always found fascinating, but I have only read a few pieces of fiction with that setting. My writing group encouraged me to develop my short story (3200 words) into a book. I have a rough outline developed but there are still some gaping holes I haven't figured out how to fill yet. I need to work on adding more characters and perhaps a few subplots. What was sufficient for a short story is not enough to carry a book. Meanwhile I am trying to flesh out chapters of scenes I have mostly figured out. Part of what is hindering my progress is lack of research, but I often use that as a excuse not to write. I need to be writing and researching at the same time. The proper details can always be added after the basic plot is decided.
My second short story's idea came from reading my monthly Voice of the Martyrs. It's account of the persecuted church in Indonesia struck a chord with me somehow, and I used this as the setting. My short story is about a woman missionary, Anita, who witnesses the death of a Muslim woman because of her association with her, and how it impacts another native she had been trying to lead to Christ. I am not quite sure how I am going to 'flesh this out' as it is on the 'back burner' right now. But that is the next project, unless something else comes up.
I am also trying to get back into journaling regularly, as it helps my thoughts flow more readily in my fiction writing.
So this is where I am at. How about you?
Comments
Post a Comment